Remember: The first 72 hours are the most important while the tattoo is still closing. If you did nothing else but keep it clean, the body's natural healing process will heal your tattoo itself!!
Don't overthink it! If you keep your tattoo clean and leave it alone, your tattoo WILL heal on its own, but taking care of it will ensure that the most ink possible stays inside your skin. Here's some instructions to follow.
Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions! It is normal for there to be redness and bruising for the first few days of your tattoo. If you think you have signs of an infection please visit a doctor!
1. Remove bandage in 2-5 hours. Do NOT rebandage.
2. Wash the tattoo with warm soapy water using your hand only. Use a mild unscented anti-bacterial soap. Avoid any body washes or harsh soaps.
3. Pat dry with a clean paper towel and allow to air dry for 15 min.
4. With clean hands, apply a very thin layer of A & D or Aquaphor ointment. Use only enough to moisturize the tattoo. DO NOT OVER APPLY! You want the ointment to disappear into your skin. You are equalizing the moisture between your skin and the fresh tattoo.
5. Repeat steps 2-4, two to three times a day for 5 to 7 days. You do not need to wash your tattoo more than once or twice a day, but do not apply ointment without washing your hands first! Your tattoo will be swollen and red for the first 2-3 days and then that will subside. It is normal for there to be some seepage and for your tattoo to hurt during this time. It will begin to peel at about the 3-4 day mark. DO NOT PICK IT. Allow the flakes and any scabs to fall off naturally. You can pat it gently if it is itching.
6. After 5 to 7 days of using ointment you can switch to a plain fragrance free lotion such as Eucerin or Lubriderm. Use lotion 2-3 times a day until your tattoo is completely healed. Your tattoo is still healing internally and settling in for about another month or so.
• DO NOT SUBMERGE YOUR TATTOO IN HEAVILY CHLORINATED WATER OR SALT WATER AND AVOID DIRECT SUNLIGHT.
• DO NOT WET YOUR TATTOO FOR EXTENDED PERIODS OF TIME WHILE IT IS HEALING. i.e. BATHS or LONG SHOWERS YOU CAN GO SWIMMING AFTER TWO WEEKS!
• WHILE IT IS HEALING IF YOU HAVE TO GO IN THE SUN KEEP IT COVERED WITH LOOSE CLOTHING. DO NOT APPLY SUNSCREEN TO A HEALING TATTOO! ONCE YOUR TATTOO IS HEALED APPLY SUNSCREEN IF YOU ARE GOING OUT IN THE SUN. IT WILL ENSURE THE LONGEVITY OF YOUR TATTOO.
• DO NOT TOUCH YOUR TATTOO UNLESS YOU ARE CLEANING IT. EVERYTHING THAT COMES INTO CONTACT WITH YOUR TATTOO SHOULD BE CLEAN - this includes clothes, bedsheets, towels, etc.
• LIGHT EXERCISE IS OK AFTER 24 HOURS. AVOID HEAVY EXERCISE UNTIL DAY 4. DO NOT TOUCH YOUR TATTOO TO DIRTY GYM EQUIPMENT! FOLLOW STEPS 2-4 AFTER EXERCISE.
1. After your opaque bandage comes off, gently clean and pat dry the tattoo and surrounding area, ensuring there is no soap or any residue on the skin. You want your skin to be very dry so the adhesive forms a tight seal.
2. With clean hands, cut the Derm Shield to cover tattooed area plus a 1 to 2 inch margin from the edge of the tattoo.
3. Peel off opaque backing to expose adhesive side and position the Derm Shield over the tattoo with the adhesive side facing the skin. Try to only touch the edges, you do not want to introduce bacteria to the adhesive side where it will be covering your tattoo.
4. Gently apply using light pressure, starting from the center to the edges to eliminate air bubbles. Do not stretch the Derm Shield during application.
5. It is normal for blood and fluids to collect under the bandage. These fluids "dry out" over the course of the healing process. If these fluids leak out of the bandage, your bandage is compromised and must be removed. Don't panic, you can still care for your tattoo the "old fashioned way."
6. Do not wear any piece longer than one week. If you choose not to use it, or your transparent bandage is compromised and must be removed before the 7 days are up, simply follow the instuctions from the "Black Absorbant Bandage Aftercare" until your tattoo is healed.
Directions for Removal:Remove in the shower and wash with warm soapy water before removal. Gently pull the Derm Shield by a corner stretching it downward and away from your tattoo. The bandage should stretch and come away from the body. Do not pull the bandage upwards.